Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

Arrow rests, to stick or to screw?

A recent discussion of the short comings of a certain type of stick on recurve arrow rest (I don't have a pony in this race and it's irrelevant to our discussion so I won't identify it), have caused me to start wondering about recurve arrow rests. Specifically, I am revisiting my question of why stick on recurve rests remain so widely accepted.
Hoyt Super Rest

To be fair, simple, "low tech" arrow rests have proven themselves in the past with multiple Olympic, World, and National titles to their name; so it's not really a question of performance. I suppose in my mind it's more a question of economics.

Would it not make more sense to buy a bolt on rest so you can set it and forget it; possibly replacing the arm wire about once a decade?

AAE Cavalier
Maybe I'm just cheap, but as effective as rests such as the Hoyt Super Rest are, but I wouldn't want to be shelling out $2.50 (or more for magnetic stick on rests) on a recurring basis for the life of my bow. I now use an AAE cavalier rest (or something to that effect, it was graciously left on the riser when I bought it used) on my primary bow and a Spigarelli ZT on my back up. They are both solid bolt on rests, with plenty of adjustment (more than bending things with pliers or using foam shims), and while they come in at a price point well above a stick on, I expect to have them for several decades.
Spigarelli ZT

I guess ultimately this is a post with out an answer, or at least not a universally correct answer.



1 comment: