Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Training notes: Never one for realism

I've never been much of a fan of 3d archery (the foam animals), or I guess more accurately, I've never really taken it all that seriously. In my mind (a non-hunting mind), I approach it as an opportunity to make ridiculous shots and shoot strictly for fun. As a result, I've: A) always approached 3d season with a slight sense of dread (in that it's a slight inconvenience for shooting paper indoors when a league is going on), and B) have never gotten all that good at it.

However, that being said; the Presleys Summer 3d league began yesterday and I have to admit I'm having a lot of fun with it. Unlike times past I'm shooting my Olympic recurve, which has made me quite the oddity and more importantly presented quite the additional challenge. When I was shooting compound, the space between my 20yd and 30yd sight mark was really quite minimal so for indoor 3d, if I were to misjudge a yardage then I wouldn't be too terribly far off the mark. In contrast, I have to drop the sight on my recurve almost one half of an inch to move from 20yd to 30yd. This means I practically have to be on the money to pull off a shot or I'll barely catch foam (or completely miss the foam as was the case with the racoon).

I shot the first course yesterday and walked away with a 213/280. Interestingly this is about two points off of where I started during the last 3d league with a compound (I told you I wasn't all that good).

No comments:

Post a Comment