Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

Draw length confessions

One of the cornerstones of effective archery is the establishment of an accurate draw length. This is the measurement of the distance between the string at full draw and the deepest part of the grip/center of the plunger (plus 1.75 inches for AMO). In the case of a compound this is where the wall is placed and in the case of a recurve this is where the clicker is placed. So really, in summation, draw length is the foundation upon which an archer builds their equipment and with out an accurate value, form suffers (over draw and under draw causes inconsistencies).

I have to confess that I have never been accurately measured for draw length.

This goes completely against my mantra of careful, deliberate and intelligent shooting, but I've managed to "fall into" or establish through trial and error a correct draw length, I just don't know what the quantifiable measurement is.

For example, I started with a 27 inch draw length module for my compound bow and used a combination of cable twists/untwists and limb bolt rotation to fix my draw length.

I had a cursory measurement done two years ago when I bought my first bow so at least I have a ball park figures (27.5). In actuality I suspect I am closer to 27.75 - 28 inches, as a review of my recurve set up reveals a 28 inch arrow with a clicker set just under two inches in front of the grip apex. 

No comments:

Post a Comment