Pages

Saturday, July 6, 2013

The Foreigner

While it hasn't been a long time since I've last had my hands on a compound bow, it has definitely been a fair amount. I believe the last time I shot a compound in training was the middle of May and the last time I shot one in competition was during the Pekin Archers Spring Opener.

Today during practice I picked one back up for an end, incidentally just to try out a piece of old recurve gear (a bubble ring aperture), and boy did it show I was out of practice with a compound. I had always figured archery was archery, regardless of discipline but apparently this is only true to a point. Shooting a compound was almost completely foreign to me. Embarrassingly I had difficulty with pulling over the hump, whacked my arm because I've grown accustomed to a high wrist grip and even found it difficult to load an arrow.

Now, on the bright side, I was able to observe a few good habits I had picked up in the recurve world cross back over. My ability to employ back tension is through the roof and my grip on a release aid is much more of a shallow grip (the accepted best practice for a hand held release) as seen in finger shooting and much less like the "fist" that I used prior.

However, even with my foray back into the compound discipline I have to admit I have almost zero interest in fully returning... ever. As long as I am of sound enough body to ride the curve then I will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment