Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Training Notes: Can't Cant

I tell the following story as a cautionary tale. In my opinion in archery, shooting form is king but it is also a commodity (yes, a commodity) that must be carefully monitored, refined and maintained. Proof in point, over the last two days of shooting I've discovered that I have introduced a significant cant (tipping the bow to the side, think of an old western) to my bow at full draw. Exactly where this came from who's to say; maybe it was my body attempting to mitigate fatigue or maybe I've just been watching too many movies lately, the point is; however, had I not been diligently monitoring my form I most likely would not have been aware of the error until much later.

When situations like this arise, my best suggestion; or at least my most effective solution I've found so far, is to simply allow for more blank bale time in your practice routine. It is a highly underrated tool in our training arsenal, mainly because most people think shooting at nothing is boring. However, boring thought it may be, the opportunity to step back and concentrate on proper shot execution can be a figurative life saver. 

No comments:

Post a Comment