Pages

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Review: Artemis Lite First Look

Not to be confused with the marketing software, Artemis Lite is an archery data tracker created by Marcel van Apeldoorn. I've had it installed on my phone since February and quite honestly forgot about it until Jake Kaminski's APPtitune hit the market. So being that the Android version of APPtitune will probably be a ways off, and really while the goals of these two pieces of software are similar we are actually talking about two very different tools; I decided to put Artemis Lite through it's paces in the interim. 


Now lets run down the particulars of Artemis. It is a free app that runs on the Android OS and is billed as a "a personal Archery Coach for your Android phone or tablet. The only Coach you wear in your pocket!" . Which really when you boil it all down is a less complicated way of saying it's an Archery database that tracks both equipment set up and scores with integrated analytic tools. 

In full disclosure, I played around with it (entering random information) when I installed it back in February and only seriously set it up today so I have yet to fully explore all of the tools the software offers but we'll run through what I know so far. 

My ultimate verdict: great piece of software a definite buy.

Let's get the bad news out of the way first. My only issues with the software so far have been technical; finding no faults in the actual substance of the software. The early version I originally downloaded was cripplingly buggy and would crash constantly. Several updates appear to have MOSTLY resolved this issue, though it did crash twice during my practice session today. Fortunately when it crashes there is no catastrophic loss of data and I was able to restart with no problems. It is also not a particularly intuitive piece of software. If you are looking for apple-like simplicity then you will be sorely disappointed, but anyone with an intermediate understanding of technology will be able to adapt just fine. Finally, it does not yet support scoring for the NFAA indoor target face. Completely understandable given that the developer is Dutch and this target face is primarily used in the US.  

Arrow data
On the bright side, the equipment tracking tools are comprehensive and the match data tools are probably the best I've ever tried. You are able to enter data for multiple bow setups, both multiple versions of the same bow (for example an indoor and outdoor version), or completely different bows. There is also the ability to track arrows and sights. Now, when I say "ability", it's important to point out that it's actually more of a requirement. The software uses this information when analyzing the match data, so you need to enter accurate information. 



The match/score data function is, in a word, beautiful. I've tried other apps that are specifically built just to track scores and they have all been fiddly, buggy or just completely unhelpful; but Artemis Lite has it polished to perfection. You create individual matches, with the flexibility to adjust for target face (mainly FITA and IFAA faces), distance, ends and shots per end. For today's practice i was shooting 18m, 300 rounds and was able to set up a match in about 30 seconds. Actually entering the information once shot is where most of the other apps failed (though a couple did lose me at the set up phase), but I was able to enter the information quickly and in not much longer of a time frame than had I been using a pen and paper. 
Group Analysis

Match data entry
Of course the cherry on top is the software actively analyzes your groups and arrows. I was able to see my average group area and adjust my sight (this was done by my own volition, the software didn't make sight suggestions, though it will according to the website) and it pointed out an inconsistent arrow. 

Over the next few weeks, once my score database is a little more thorough (three, 300 rounds is not really a sufficient data set by any standard) I'll start playing wit the analytical tools and report back. But for the time being this program gets my full support.

As a side note, I should point out that this software does not do anything that most serious shooters should be doing now, and have been doing for decades. The equipment database is essentially a flashy version of equipment notes we already keep on paper and the score database is a graphic version of a score log. Simply, Artemis Lite makes the tracking and recall of this information easier and makes use of technology we are already hooked to. 

For more information visit the Artemis Lite website 

No comments:

Post a Comment